[NCLUG] Linux on a HP visualize X-class workstation (John)

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Mon Jun 24 09:14:01 MDT 2002

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:09:56 -0600
> From: John <jafish at spearnet.net>
> To: nclug at nclug.org
> Subject: [NCLUG] Linux on  a HP visualize X-class workstation
>
> Hey all you HP people!
>
>     I have a HP Visualize X-CLass workstation(A1280A Dual p3 866 HP
>     Fx4+ graphics card) and I was wondering If it would be possible to
>     to run Linux on it .  I guess the only thing I am really wonding
>     is if the graphics card will work . Did some searches on Google
>     found some references to the HP Fx5 and 10 running the HP x-server
>     taht works in Linux.  I  would prefer to run mandrake 8.0 -8.2
>     (Due to I have copys of these distro's, also have Red hat 7.0 and
>     SUSE 6.3 I belive it is?)  the machine is a little old and in the
>     docs. they  certified it to RH 6.2, but I am still wondering about
>     the Fx4+ card. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly
>     appreciated.

I'm not an HP person, but I have an X550. I think it uses the same video
card. It works just fine for me. One of the HP people suggested I get a
Matrox or other more recent video card for which there are recent Linux
drivers for better graphics. But the stock card works just fine and
RedHat and KRUD found everything just fine. IOW, I didn't have to do any
special. Though I do have a recollection of X in possibly RedHat 7.0 not
working right. So I downloaded the tarball for the latest X and made it,
and everything was fine after that.

Peace, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B