[NCLUG] dsl modem for qwest & frii

Corey Snipes corey at snipes.com
Thu Jun 27 17:36:27 MDT 2002

Apologies for replying to Really Old Threads, but I bought a Cisco 1417
on ebay for exactly this reason (Qwest forced upgrade).  I'm using
peak-to-peak on Qwest technically, but everything applies.  The 1417 has
a built-in DMT modem (which is what the new Qwest lines require) and
full IOS so you can do all kinds of nifty router tricks with it.

Since other bidders seemed to have no idea that it would work on the new
qwest lines, and they were busy paying $200 for their 678s, I got it for
about $80.

Things to note are: a) these models aren't particularly new, b) this one
came with a ram boost in order to accomodate the latest IOS, c) no other
14xx model has the built-in modem that you need -- you need a 1417, and
d) they don't show up on ebay all too often.

I spend about 15 hours trying to teach myself Cisco IOS and telephony
foo to get this working, but I wrote up a little howto doc which should
cut the time down to a couple hours for the next person so inclined.

Anyway, hope that helps someone.  If anyone's interested in the doc,
email me and I'll send or post it somewhere.

 - Corey Snipes
   Longmont, CO, USA