[NCLUG] Python wierdness

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Fri Jun 28 15:06:35 MDT 2002

Hi everyone:

I'm having a very frustrating problem with Python 2.2 (and I was able to
reproduce it both on my Intel and PowerPC box).

Here's what happens: Whenever I load a particular package (Numerical Python)
Python starts misbehaving. The package loads ok, but from that point on,
Python only lets me type commands very, very slowly. If I type too fast (at
my normal typing rate), it hangs and the CPU load goes through the roof. Once
this happens, Python appears frozen and only responds to Control-C. When I
type Control-C, it says "KeyboardInterrupt" and gives me another prompt.
What's really odd about the problem is that this annoyance aside, Python
works fine. If I restrain myself to typing one character a second, I would
have no problems at all!

Is there anything I can do to find out what the heck is going on? Can I ask
Python to tell me what it was so busily doing when I hit Control-C? That way
I could at least file a semi-competent bug report :)

Marcio Luis Teixeira