[NCLUG] Sendmail configuration "+" notation?

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Mar 20 13:20:22 MST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Michael Dwyer wrote:

> I'd defer to the O'Reilly book at this point -- or run it by the lists at
> sendmail.org.

Ahhh... the beloved bat book.

I dropped it on my foot one time and was in a cast for 7 weeks.

> Finally, is this really a wide-spread problem?  There are quite a number
> of different Email verification regexp strings in the PHP man pages --
> there are a great number of different patterns, as you can see from this
> page: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.eregi.php --

One point of technicality (because those are the only kinds of points I'm
able to make): all of these regex's are probably wrong.

The regex for email addresses that follows RFC (2)821 fills a page in
Appendix B of O'Reilly's wonderful "Mastering Regular Expressions" book...
and the text has been shrunk, so it's probably more like two standard pages
of text.

There's a code snippet at http://examples.oreilly.com/regex/readme.html
that will tell you if an email address is valid or not, but it's full of
some pretty nasty regexes... so much so that it's not a bad idea to buy the
book to understand them (which is pretty good, actually...)

> -mdwyer - "I like sendmail cuz it works, but don't ask me to understand
> it..."

"I don't like sendmail, because no matter how many times they fix it, they
always fix the *second* to last root compromise." -- me

Later,
Paul