[NCLUG] disabling/enabling services w/o linuxconf

Eric Dahlman dahlman at cs.colostate.edu
Fri Mar 22 15:36:20 MST 2002

Daniel Herrington <danielh at ftc.agilent.com> writes:

> How do I disable kudzu from running during the startup sequence on my RH
> 7.2 box?  (I used to do this with linuxconf, but I'd like to know the
> manual way instead.)

[eric at vempele eric]$ cd /etc/rc.d
cd /etc/rc.d
[eric at vempele rc.d]$ find . -name "*kudzu*"
./init.d/kudzu
./rc0.d/K95kudzu
./rc1.d/K95kudzu
./rc2.d/K95kudzu
./rc3.d/S05kudzu  <-
./rc4.d/S05kudzu  <- These need to go away
./rc5.d/S05kudzu  <-
./rc6.d/K95kudzu

The way you read one of these is  for instance

./rc5 <- run level 5
./rc5.d/S <- Start (or Kill)
./rc5.d/S05 <- things are done in increasing order of this number
./rc5.d/S05kudzu <- the service name

The actual file is a symbolic link to a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
which actually does the work, it is the same script in each case and
it receives and argument of "start" or "stop" to tell what it should do.

So now we have the theory the easy thing would be just to blow the
S05kudzu links away but it would probably be good form to replace then
with K95kudzu links.

-Eric