[NCLUG] Review of the latest Double Choco Latte

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Sun Mar 31 19:03:23 MST 2002

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcl/
I had a chance to upgrade to the latest Double Choco Latte (DCL) this week.
In general, I'm quite impressed with the direction this package is moving.

I chose DCL because it offers the greatest flexibility in structuring work.
Many task tracking systems are simply todo lists, while others are highly
customized for bug tracking. Both are useful for a wide variety of tasks,
but have limitations that prevented me from choosing them to manage our
very broad range of work items.

I picked DCL because it allowed me the most flexibility in creating and
following work items.

The latest DCL (20020215) adds project creation from XML templates. (This
function was broken until today if you used the PostgreSQL backend. I
submitted a patch.) So, if you have standard workflows, which we do, you
can create a template file to create all of the standard steps in your
workflow. Each of the steps can be assigned to a different person or role
in your group. And, each of the steps can be given different deadlines.

DCL is becoming part of the GNUe (GNU Enterprise) project, as well as
phpGroupware.

We've used it for a year now, and this version is much better than anything
I've looked at before. Worth evaluating.

                            http://www.tummy.com/