[NCLUG] Help requested in learning Linux

mbutcher mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Tue May 14 13:53:35 MDT 2002

I usually recommend Linux newcomers start with Mandrake Linux
(http://www.linux-mandrake.com). The install is easy and it is aimed more
towards desktop user. Last time I installed it, the default installation
required 1.3 Gig. I've done custom installs in 500 or 600M, including Gnome
and X and all of the applications I use on a regular basis. That particular
install was on a Pentium 120 (pre-MMX) with 48M of RAM. Performance was okay
(browsing, email, terminals), but it was certainly no speed demon.

If you managed to come accross a decent sized hard drive, you could certainly
configure your Pentium system to dual boot, and you wouldn't have to worry
about messing around with the Windows installation on the current hard drive.
You'd be able to run a window manager and X and all of that....

If you were content with just the command line, you should be able to make the
486 systems work.

Matt