[NCLUG] Hello All.

siegel siegel at holly.colostate.edu
Fri May 17 12:49:48 MDT 2002

>Ha! as if we take vacations!
>
>Hacking society, every Tuesday except NCLUG night.
>  http://www.hackingsociety.org/

Heh, I saw that page before I subscribed. Its not that I'm uninterested in
attending, just that I don't know if my skills are "leet" enough to be
attending hacker meetings. As I mentioned before, I'm still a linux newbie,
and that kind of goes for coding too. If you guys (and gals) wouldn't mind
someone looking over your shoulder for hours though, I would like to be there.

I just got a new computer about a week ago, and I'm going to burn some Debian
CD's for it this afternoon probably. Perhaps you can help if anything goes
terribly wrong. That is, of course, unless anyone has a different distro to
tout. (here's your chance to convert a newbie.)

Actually, I have a question if anyone can help. This will be my first
experience with Debian, and I often hear it railed on for being a bit "out of
date". I assume this means in the packages, and not so much in terms of
hardware support. I could care less about having the very latest package of
everything, but I ask because this computer which I've recently acquired is
full of very new (and fun and powerful) parts. But i'm not sure how well they
are supported.

I guess the question is: Is Debian any less up to date with hardware ssupport
than other distros? Hope thats not too general.

Thanks for the quick responses, and any help you might have. And nice to meet
all of you!

-Rob