[NCLUG] desktop link behavior

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Tue May 28 06:58:59 MDT 2002

> Thnx 4 responding, Marcio. Here's what I did:
> First I uninstalled acrobat to test things (it took nearly half a minute to
> shut down whenever it tried to open a desktop file).
>
> Next I did as you suggested:
> "Settings" -> "Configure Konqueror" -> "File Associations"
> ->application-> x-desktop-> Application Preference Order [acrobat was no
> mentioned there]-> add-> kfmclient.

Well, on my system "x-desktop" has no applications associated with it. I'm
not sure what "kfmclient" does.

Rather than looking under "applications," in "Known Types, " did you also
look under "all"? You shouldn't have anything configured for "all" and
"allfiles". By the way, there is also a "Use defaults" button which might
help.

Anyhow, as for another place to look, KDE keeps all the settings in the
".kde" directory of your home directory. This directory is normally invisible
(hence the dot), but you can get to it through a shell (cd "~/.kde"). Inside
that there is a "share" directory which seems to contain the configuration
files. One trick you can use is to use "grep" to find all occurances of
"acroread". Use the "-r" for recursive. Something like "grep -r acroread
~/.kde". Anyhow, I don't recommend editing the files in ".kde" by hand, but
once you find the offending line you may be able to figure out how to set it
using the interface.

As a last resort, you could also move the ".kde" directory to another name.
That will cause KDE to rebuild it with the default settings.

Marcio Luis Teixeira