[NCLUG] desktop link behavior

Idris S Hamid ishamid at attbi.com
Tue May 28 08:54:38 MDT 2002

> Well, on my system "x-desktop" has no applications associated with it. I'm
> not sure what "kfmclient" does.

I think that's the "real" name of Konqueror.

> Rather than looking under "applications," in "Known Types, " did you also
> look under "all"? You shouldn't have anything configured for "all" and
> "allfiles". By the way, there is also a "Use defaults" button which might
> help.

did not work

> Anyhow, as for another place to look, KDE keeps all the settings in the
> ".kde" directory of your home directory. This directory is normally
> invisible (hence the dot), but you can get to it through a shell (cd
> "~/.kde").

I have konq set to view hidden files

Inside that there is a "share" directory which seems to contain
> the configuration files. One trick you can use is to use "grep" to find all
> occurances of "acroread". Use the "-r" for recursive. Something like "grep
> -r acroread ~/.kde".

Here is the result of grep:

~/.kde/share # grep -r acroread ~/.kde
/root/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/C.desktop:X-KDE-LastOpenedWith=acroread
/root/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/cdrecorder.desktop:X-KDE-LastOpenedWith=ac
roread
/root/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/C[2].desktop:X-KDE-LastOpenedWith=acroread
grep: /root/.kde/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kmenu.png: No such file or
direc       tory
/root/.kde/share/applnk/SuSE/Office/Viewer/acroread.desktop:Exec=acroread
/root/.kde/share/config/ktexmaker2rc:Pdf=acroread $pdfname
/root/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc:History=kedit  -caption "%c" %i %m
%u,acrore       ad,xpdf,gv,kedit,oxdvi
grep: /root/.kde/socket-linux/klauncher6ZD3tb.slave-socket: No such device or
ad       dress
grep: /root/.kde/socket-linux/kdeinit-:0: No such device or address

> As a last resort, you could also move the ".kde" directory to another name.
> That will cause KDE to rebuild it with the default settings.

Now this works! Thnx a million. I'm curious as to what the offending line in
.kde is so if the grep output gives you a clue please let me know.

Thnx again
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid