[NCLUG] users only

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Wed May 29 05:54:12 MDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:46:23AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> What's wrong with restricting the list to memebers only?  In particular,
> with mailman you can subscribe multiple addresses, but only enable delivery
> for one of them, so it's not SO bad...  BLUG is closed and folks seem not
> too unhappy with that.  CLUE is also closed...

I'm extremely unhappy with that.  When people cross-post messages between
BLUG and NCLUG, I get these obnoxious `your message has been held for
moderation' messages.  See the rants against sistina running closed
lists ad nauseam.

> I can definitely set up spamassassin before the messages get to the mailing
> list.  Do we then just bounce back any replies that are determined to be
> spam, or do we just discard them?  Or do we hook spamassassin into the
> normal approval process, so Matt sees them and can approve them or discard
> them as required?

I think I favour bouncing them back to the originator.  But I'm not
particularly well-versed in the art of dealing with spammers.  Anyone
else have a preference?