[NCLUG] users only

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Wed May 29 13:30:11 MDT 2002

mike cullerton writes...

> well, as others have mentioned, if "reply to sender" has become the
> standard, it is a relatively recent standard.

Every list I'm on (30+) has this policy. It's the default for several of
the major list software packages. Are you on lists that don't this? What
software do they use?

> i have been reading lists since they all ran on bitnet. back in the day,
> they _all_ had responses going back to the list. it's a discussion list
> for chrissake!

What list software did they use?

> it seems to me, that when replying to a posting on a discussion list, the
> standard desire is for the message to go to the list and the original
> sender shouldn't get two copies.

Seems like a reasonable idea, but then it makes replies inconsistant. Have
you read "Reply-to-munging considered harmful"? I really think it makes
good arguements along these lines. I guess it boils down to if you believe
that "Consistant is beter than better".

> our new policy means we have to edit headers to achieve this desire.

Yes.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at fc.hp.com