[NCLUG] users only

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Fri May 31 19:29:33 MDT 2002

Mike Loseke writes...

>  And when did this become the "standard practice"?

I meant it's current standard practice for most lists in the free software
world, not standard practice for NCLUG.

> The NCLUG list has always, since it's very first inception on the VISLAB
> machines at CSU, set the Reply-To as the name of the list.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

My intent in changing it was to make the list consistant with normal email(and
most other lists) so as not to confuse new users. After all when your friend
sends a message to you and a bunch of others, hitting reply only replies to
your friend. As most other lists are setup to not-munge they are consistant
with this behavior. By munging replyto, what you're saying is that the
behavior should be different because a particular address is a mailing list.

Unless users are actively watching the headers they may get unexpected
behavior until they realize(and remember each time) that this list is setup
differently. I know I've been stung buy it several times because I'm so used
to the behavior on other lists.

>  Can we request, then, that something making that perfectly clear be added
> to either the "welcome to nclug" message new subscribers get or to the
> chunk tacked onto the end of every message? Or both?

Yes, if we decide to leave it this way.

>  My primary concern with this is that the questions and answers which this
> list exists for not be lost because someone forgot to hit the right button
> or key. There's a 50% chance of that happenning with every message now
> whereas before it was much closer to 0. Unless things have drastically
> changed since this list was created, this isn't a list for l33t haxxorz
> and elitists but instead a Q&A forum for both novices (in all senses of
> the word) and more experienced folks.

We all have the best interests of the nclug community at heart. No one wants
nclug to be closed elitist group. We're just solving different problems.

FYI to nclug - Mike and I argued about this a few years ago when I took over
the list. At the time I deferred to his experience and set it up the same way.
When willy brought it up a few weeks ago I thought maybe the time had come to
change it since I'm not aware of any other lists that are still setup this
way. There are obviously a few people on the list who want the old behavior.
Unless a few people(other than willy and I) speak up in favor of the new
behavior I will change it back.

>  If I'm mistaken, I'll shut up and leave.

You're not mistaken, you don't need to shut up or leave, these aren't the
droids you're looking for, move along.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org