META RE: [NCLUG] Another Job posting

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Nov 7 11:14:43 MST 2002

	The discussion of whether or not to allow such posts is
	(as always) a greater strain on my oh-so-fragile delete
	key than the posts that sparked the debate.

When local employers are involved, directly posting their openings
without an agency doing the screening, I am much more open to using
the list for postings. The volume will always remain relatively low,
and there are no commissions at stake. When the employer isn't looking
at a large commission, they are generally easier to negotiate a
salary with - a win-win for both the job seeker and employer.

The problem with this issue is that it can rapidly be the other
way around once agencies (which generally get big bucks from the
employers) learn that job posting in this list is fair game. They
have every incentive to get maximum exposure both attempting to find
a candidate, and building contact databases, that will generate
their commissions. Especially where they do not have a sole source
agreement with the employer. My experience from other lists, is
that once you have a couple dozen recruiters doing this, there will
be a steady stream of postings - if that is what NCLUG wants.

If the nclug community thinks that job listing are important right
now I have many recruiter contacts that I've done business with
(both as a hiring manager and as a contractor looking for work) in
the last decade that would probably be happy to give you as many
job listings as you want in this forum. Most of them have families
to support too, and would jump to expand their contact data base
with your resume replies from this readership.

With commissions that are a significant percentage of first year
salaries, or off-the-top on temporary placements, this is a big
high dollar business when agencies are involved - it makes sense to
question providing a free service to a hand select few recruiters
that can easily make a hundred grand or so from placements off the
list over a few years. Which is why I suggest making it an open
playing field so that all our recruiter friends have equal access
if the readership wants job postings here.

John