META RE: [NCLUG] Another Job posting

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Nov 7 16:12:54 MST 2002

Sean Reifschneider <jafo-nclug at tummy.com> writes:
> On the other hand, NCLUG needs to be sensitive to it's users who, like
> John, are upset by the list being used for job postings -- particularly
> by recruiters.

As I noted earlier, postings by local firms with technical staff active
in NCLUG is probably a good nclug community building idea. Direct sales
marketing in the list, by recruiters or other businesses generally gets
under my skin as pure SPAM, in any form, unless there is a clear return
to support NCLUG.

> John, what would you like to see?  A policy of charging for advertising
> on the list?  A -jobs list created?

If NCLUG wants to charge market rates for advertising in the list, I don't
see that as a bad idea if the money can be used to support the linux cause
in our community. Things that could be of a great benifit would be printing
up Debian/RedHat DVD's or CD's with the NCLUG logo to be handed out for free
in very public places ... like the installfest, and local computer stores.

As I noted before, we used this to fund SVNet for a long time. We even
bent over backwards to invite Venture Capitalists and Recruiters at times
when jobs were tough to find. This greatly improved the dynamics of SVNet,
both as a technical forum, and as THE place to "network" socially.

Have Fun,
John