[NCLUG] automatic date update?

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Nov 11 16:16:32 MST 2002

Look in each of the /etc/cron.[daily|weekly|monthly|etc] directories for
anything.  However, I believe that KRUD out of the box doesn't do
anything to maintain time.  Does this happen weekly when your box is
alive for weeks for a time, or do you reboot this machine regularly?
Linux boxes, if misconfigured, can be confused about the time when they
boot -- especially on dual-boot windows boxes.  Windows doesn't grasp
the idea of using UTC time on the CMOS clock, while UNIX usually expects
that to be the case.   Also, Windows sets the clock for daylight savings
time -- unix boxes don't have DST, per se, and only change the apparent
offset.

Does it change your clock when you reboot?
Does it change your clock slowly?  A couple minutes per day, or in one
large step?
How does the CMOS clock ('hwclock') match up with your system clock
('date')?

ntpdate and netdate are one-off programs that set the software clock
once when ran.  ntpd, on the other hand, runs constantly, and carefully
adjusts your clock against a pool of online clocks.  It works very
nicely if you have a constant internet connection.

The concept of linux time is something I've done a lot of work on, so I
should be able to help you find this one....  hopefully...