[NCLUG] Mass Storage Device/Digital Camera

Rich Young rich at republicoftech.com
Wed Nov 27 23:53:03 MST 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 04:23, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 08:51:24AM -0700, Rich Young wrote:
> >Meanwhile, some interesting things turn up in /var/log/messages and the
> > file system when I plug the camera into the USB port.  When the device is
> > set in "Mass Storage" mode, the machine assigns it a USB location,
> > assumes it's a CD, mounts it as /mnt/cdrom1, and then issues a cute
> > little "this disk
>
> That's probably the problem.  Check out /proc/scsi/scsi and see if the
> camera is listed there.  If so, try mounting the appropriate /dev/sd*1
> device as a vfat file-system...
>
> That's what the "mass storage" devices I've used for both of my cameras
> required and it's worked with varying degrees of success.  Sometimes
> I've found that either the driver or the device doesn't do the right
> thing and things get confused.

Sean seems to be on to something here -- /proc/scsi/scsi contains:
	[root at home dev]# more /proc/scsi/scsi
	Attached devices:
	Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
	  Vendor: MITSUMI  Model: CR-4804TE        Rev: 2.6C
	  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
	Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
	  Vendor: HP       Model: PhotoSmart 720   Rev: 1.00
	  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So we're connected, and the camera is not a total mystery to my machine.  RH's
Hardware Browser shows me the camera at /dev/sda ("Model: Unknown SCSI" but
it appears/disappears with the camera hotplug/unplug), so I worked on
mounting that as vfat, msdos, umsdos, etc.  I keep getting
	mount: No medium found
messages.  When I switch the camera from Mass Storage to Digital Camera mode,
I get the same message, but far, far faster from digital camera mode than
when it's a storage device.

Am I wrong about the camera being at /dev/sda?  Or is there some incantation
to be recited that I'm not aware of?  Any ideas?

--Rich