[NCLUG] Error messages from "make html_docs" for OTB in Deb 2.2

Aaron D. Johnson ajohnson at shufflemasterrd.com
Wed Oct 2 18:59:19 MDT 2002

So I went back in the archives and did manage to find this.  I think I
can help you out.

Sivea Key writes:
> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... (cached) no
> checking for tgetent in -lterminfo... (cached) no

At this point, it's saying "I couldn't find any library file with
tgetent defined in it."  On my systems, tgetent is in a libary called
ncurses.  The Debian package which includes the ncurses development
files is called "libncurses5-dev".  So you'll want to try this:

    apt-get install libncurses5-dev

The "(cached)" bits in there worry me a bit.  I'd try unpacking the
source tree from scratch again in a separate directory after
installing the libncurses5-dev package and trying to build again.

I checked several of the symbols that were missing from the end of
your log (tgetstr, tgetflag, etc.)  and they were all present in my
copy of the ncurses library.  So they shouldn't cause any problem for
you if the configure script does its job correctly.

If it still has problems, then the tests that the configure script are
running are broken in some way.  They leave a "config.log" file that
you can send my way and I'll have a look.  I'd've tried doing a
complete build myself, but I'm not too keen on sending the government
people lots of paperwork just to look at software that my tax dollars
helped pay for...

Let me know if this helps or not.  Good luck.

- Aaron