[NCLUG] webhosting question

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Oct 15 23:25:11 MDT 2002

On 15 Oct 2002, Chris Riddoch wrote:

> > > I called and asked their tech support rep. about this, and he said they
> > > haven't seen any problems with doing it this way.
> >
> > Then they're idiots.
>
> I'd like to take this moment to mention that Peak to Peak only allows you
> to use FTP to upload pages to your web space, and only provides POP3 for
> pulling down email from their server, both of which send your passwords
> in the clear.

I only used such harsh words with those other people because they seemed to
claim there isn't a problem with this. Of course, Peak to Peak might not
see the problem either.

> So I can't download my email when I'm on my laptop on campus, or on the
> wireless network at the coffee shop where we hold the Boulder hacking
> society, or when I'm connected through anything but their dialup lines.

*If* they run ssh, then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Use sftp/scp when you need it, and tunnel POP3 through ssh.

Both work beautifully and both hide your password.

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                 preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
  Wait, stop!  We can outsmart those dolphins.  Don't forget: we invented
  computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory
  hole, *and* the pudding cup!  -- Homer Simpson, Tree House of Horror XI