[NCLUG] webhosting question

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Wed Oct 16 10:41:42 MDT 2002

quent <quent at pobox.com> writes:
> Sounds like fuel for the palladium fire.
>
> If it didn't cost so much to get a key certificate signed by an
> "authority" maybe SSL would be used more by individuals.

Hmmm. I don't think palladium would solve the problem, at least as I
understand it.  Take that with the grain of salt that I've got
relatively little personal energy for knowing what Ye Olde Monopoly is
up to.

I think it's fuel for using SSH tunnels.  SSH doesn't cost what SSL
does, has implementations available for lots of platforms, and I
strongly suspect it's possible for an ISP to set up SSH for tunneling
fetchmail and handling file transfers without requiring a user to be
given full access to a shell.

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility