[NCLUG] IT Samaritans Techie Projects! Build your resume and network for a job!

Michael J. Mikelson mjmikelson at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 14:21:04 MDT 2002

Hi all!

I've got two project waiting to start up!  One is up in Boulder, and the
other is in Greeley.  I know some of you have been waiting to find a
project in your neighborhood, and now here it is!  Bluntly put, before
we do ANYTHING, we have to have a project leader for each of these.
This project leader should ideally have project management experience,
but truly, what you need to have is the ability to coordinate and DRIVE
efforts to completion.  This means that you have to have patience!  The
great thing about being the project leader, is that you are the person
who gets the most exposure to the client, and ostensibly the best
references, since you'll do a good job knowing that leaving a project
unfinished is a great way to get a poor reference!  Please contact me
ASAP, as these two projects won't last, someone out there will recognize
the potential networking for jobs opportunities!  Remember, when you do
something for someone else, they generally go out of their way to help
you too!

In Boulder, I've had several people indicate interest in certain roles,
but nobody has offered to lead the team.  Here's the project details:

*	Unable to print only selected pages in Word docs or multiple
copies of Word docs (printing in other programs seems to be OK)
*	Network--consistently having to restart Filemaker for notebook
to access it
*	Our LCD monitor frequently shows no image when computer is
started up and may require rebooting to get an image (latest driver is
installed)
*	How to remove file that pops up Netscape chat dialogue box at
start-up
*	Certain Quark files crashing when we try to print
*	Quark files sometimes do not show date last modified after
changes saved
*	How to show details as default when doing windows search
*	How to set up 3 computer network via hub (currently two
computers connected directly)
*	Netscape: 'can't load settings-use those from previous session?
What does this mean?
*	How to show connection status on screen
*	Netscape sometimes will not allow us to delete, forward, reply
without opening message in new window

In Greeley, the organization is one that advocates English Literacy.
They teach ESL, and are installing a computer-based training package,
and need help.  They have 20+ machines and need to look at networking
them, and possibly building in network security (domains and file level
security).  It's unclear at this point whether they will get a DSL line.
They have some hubs, and no idea what they are really doing.  We will
need a Project leader who's got knowledge of Local Area Networks.  I
also think that we'll need 3-4 technicians to help install the network.
If there's anyone out there who's willing to use this opportunity to
teach others networking, please let me know!  At this point, only the
package they are going to use for the ESL is what will determine Linux
vs. Windows.  They have little or no budget, so we'll have to beg for
Windows software somewhere!

Ok, to proceed with these projects we'll need a person willing to drive
and coordinate.  You'll be the Single Point of Contact (SPOC) for the
project.  You'll need to have the ability to delineate and track tasks,
and coordinate with the client to ensure it gets done.  You'll be the
one writing the contracts, and be the primary negotiator and client
contact.  You'll also drive the documentation effort and the press
release at conclusion, which will prominently mention all names of those
who worked on the job, and their roles......getting the picture on how
this potentially helps you find a job?

Contact me at your earliest convenience, and we'll go from there!