[NCLUG] CD Burning with IDE Burner

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Oct 29 11:37:14 MST 2002

On 29 Oct 2002, Patrick Riedel wrote:

> XCD-Roast is a front-end to cdrecord.  As far as I can tell, cdrecord
> only works with SCSI drives.

You need to make your IDE CDR drive look like a SCSI CD(R) drive by
enabling SCSI emulation in the kernel; this method will make your IDE CDR
drive "look" like /dev/scd0 (IIRC).

It's all covered in the CDR-HOWTO:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Incidentally, that doc says both the Philips CDRW800 and PCRW404 are
supported, so you're probably fine.

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                 preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
  Wait, stop!  We can outsmart those dolphins.  Don't forget: we invented
  computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory
  hole, *and* the pudding cup!  -- Homer Simpson, Tree House of Horror XI