[NCLUG] help

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Oct 31 19:05:42 MST 2002

	What did I do wrong? How do I fix it?

My crystal ball was smashed into ittybitty pieces years ago, and I've never
mastered the art of reading a computers mind from a far, but here goes anyway.

Probability of a bad hard drive these days out of the box is pretty low, so
that would stink of a motherboard, cable, or driver bug.

Of the three I would probably vote on a cable problem, specificly using an
IDE/ATA cable on a UDMA disk drive as first guess, or an older UDMA33 cable
that isn't properly matched for UDMA66 or faster operation. Second guess would
be a motherboard IDE/ATA interface that supports UDMA33, and the driver is
enabling it as UDMA66 or faster because it thinks the chipset can handle it
but the motherboard isn't properly terminated for it.

Everything else can be explained as an artifact of the above two.

Of course, there are probably at least 3 things wrong at this point, neither
of which are the above. YMMV

Have fun,
John