[NCLUG] (offtopic) WLAN wardriving in FC

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Wed Sep 25 19:37:37 MDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 06:28:56PM -0600, Benson Chow wrote:
>wonder if there have been any known wardriving+mapping attempts around
>here, curiosity in how many people have it and how many insecure networks.

I've complained to the "warchalking" guy that his card doesn't include a
way to indicate a "public" AP -- basically meaning an AP that the owner
authorizes the public to use...  Remember, not all open APs are
"misconfigured"...

I've never (on purpose) used someone else's AP without permission, mostly
because I think it's a pretty bad legal climate to be doing that in.

>The guy tried twice it seems, I did get two three attempts with his MAC,
>two close together and one a few hours later.

It could just be a neighbor of yours?  The one time that I have used
someone else's AP without permission, I was out in my driveway and only
realized after I'd sone my copying that I was coming from an IP address I
didn't recognise.  I think I associated with a neighbors AP across the
street instead of my own...

 You know you're in Canada when:  You see a flyer advertising a polka-fest
 at the curling rink.