[NCLUG] ssh through a proxy

Dan Fink danbob at starband.net
Sat Sep 28 18:40:33 MDT 2002

I might be missing something obvious here...I hope someone can help.

My ISP is Starband since there are no phone lines up here in the
mountians, and starband requires a Windows machine for the gateway.
Gateway computer runs WinME with KSCproxy, with port 22 open and
destination set to domain name of server I need to ssh to (xyz.com).
Local NIC on gateway machine is 192.168.0.1. Machine I need to ssh from
is Linux.

I thought that:
ssh -L 22:192.168.0.1:22 danbob at xyz.com <mailto:danbob at xyz.com>
would do the trick, but bash responds "Temporary failure in name resolution"

Am I indeed missing somthing obvious? I'm a rank amateur in dealing with
networks.

Of course PuTTy does not work either when I boot the Linux machine in
Windows.....I figured this would be the case behind the proxy.

AND, can tunneling with ssh be done from the Linux box without being
root, since port 22 is privileged?

Thanks in advance

Dan