[NCLUG] Colorado "Super-DMCA" bill impacts on Internet privacy, security

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Apr 1 16:10:10 MST 2003

Neal asked me to forward this on.

Sean

----- Forwarded message from Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us> -----

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:06:12 -0700
From: Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us>
To: Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com>
Subject: Colorado "Super-DMCA" bill impacts on Internet privacy, security

I just ran across warnings about Colorado Bill HB03-1303 on
Communication Devices.  The bill was delayed a week, and goes to a
final vote in the Senate on Monday Apr 7.

I haven't finished digesting these developments, but thought
it would be worth sending this out in advance of the NCLUG meeting
this evening on Security.

This proposed Colorado bill is being pushed by the MPAA.  Edward
W. Felten <felten at cs.princeton.edu>, (609) 258-5906, Associate
Professor of Computer Science at Princeton University, says that the
model legislation would have the possibly unintended effect of
outlawing critical and popular Internet technologies like NAT (Network
Address Translation).  Many say that it clearly would outlaw Vitual
Private Networks (VPN), private email (TLS-SMTP), etc.

Some of the *intended* consequences of the bill also look like they
limit our civil liberties and might outlaw important software
and technologies used every day by system administrators who are
trying to keep their networks secure.

For more info:
  http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/superdmca.html
  http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/doc/2003/security_29mar.pdf
  http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/cat_superdmca.html

  Colorado bill:
    http://www.leg.state.co.us/2003a/inetcbill.nsf/fsbillcont/A2F0DA113DF2BFC087256CC2006BFB94?Open&file=1303_ren.pdf

  History:
     http://www.leg.state.co.us/2003a/inetcbill.nsf/billsummary/FFD96D398232513587256CBF00543930

  http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/28/1541230&tid=103

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60

----- End forwarded message -----

--
 With Microsoft you get Windows...  Linux gives you the whole house.
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/