[NCLUG] linux compatible 802.11b or 802.11g wireless pc card

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Sat Aug 2 13:16:12 MDT 2003

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> Does anyone know a specific make & model of 802.11b (or preferably 802.11g) pc card that is Redhat 9 compatible? What drivers will I need to load? Any specific 802.11b/g cards to avoid?

First see:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html

Then take a look at:

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison

I have had good results with various Prism 2/2.5/3 chipset cards using
the Hostap and wlan-ng drivers, excellent results with Cisco/Aironet
cards, and (so far) good results with ADMtek chipset cards with the ADM
supplied Linux driver.

The absolute *best* deal right now is on the SMC 2635W card (ADMtek
chipset).  It's $17 at www.ecost.com, though there may not be any left.
  Check under "Bargain Countdown".  It's a 100mw card with Cardbus
interface (as opposed to PCMCIA).

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com