[NCLUG] HP's vpn from a home network

jjh-nclug at vieorhythms.com jjh-nclug at vieorhythms.com
Fri Aug 15 14:01:51 MDT 2003

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Rosing <rosing at peakfive.com> writes:

Matt> Hi, My wife needs to move onto our home network that connects to a
Matt> cable modem.  Her machine needs to connect, via a vpn, to some
Matt> other machine at HP.  I can ping that machine but the vpn stuff
Matt> doesn't work.  I'm assuming it has something to do with my
Matt> firewall and I need to open some ports up.  Does anyone know which
Matt> ports are needed?

For my work VPN I had top open up UDP port 500 (isakmp - key management)
and allow the ESP protocol through my firewall. ESP (Encapsulating
Security Payload) doesn't have a port, its an IPSec protocol.

Of course, this is just my situation.

Matt> I'm using smoothwall for my firewall and it has a bunch of vpn
Matt> stuff but I don't think that has anything to do with this. Or am I
Matt> wrong about that, too?

I can't respond about this.

enjoy,

-jeremy