[NCLUG] HP's vpn from a home network

Matt Rosing rosing at peakfive.com
Mon Aug 18 12:38:51 MDT 2003

Jeremy said:

>For my work VPN I had top open up UDP port 500 (isakmp - key management)
>and allow the ESP protocol through my firewall. ESP (Encapsulating
>Security Payload) doesn't have a port, its an IPSec protocol.

I can figure out how to open up udp on port 500 but how do I let ESP
and AH (protocols 50 and 51) through my firewall?

>Of course, this is just my situation.

I think this is mine, too.  My wife's machine, when connected
directly to the cable modem, now works. So I don't think comcast is
causing problems.  The hp tech support guy said I had to open up udp
500 as well as "ipsec 50 and 51" which I assume are the esp and ah
protocols.

>Matt> I'm using smoothwall for my firewall and it has a bunch of vpn
>Matt> stuff but I don't think that has anything to do with this. Or am I
>Matt> wrong about that, too?
>
>I can't respond about this.

This is something I don't like about smoothwall.  It deals with ports
but doesn't mention protocols.

Matt