[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

Daniel Miles milesd at cs.colostate.edu
Tue Aug 19 17:04:24 MDT 2003

I'm actually confused on one issue, maybe somebody can help me clear it
up:

As I understand the American legal system, SCO's claims of code-copying,
bad clean-room practices etc. etc. are invalid until they are proven in
court. Because no trial has yet taken place, the statis of those
claims/accusations is pending.

So, (as I understand it) if the result of the trial is that everything
they're saying is true, they may charge those fees that they've been
threatening. However, attempting to collect them *before* the issues are
decided can be considered bad and possibly unlawful (harrassment) and
people who recieved the threats/bills may have a legally significant
beef with SCO even if it is later proven that they were correct in their
allegations.