[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 19 18:38:40 MDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 05:41:57PM -0600, jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
>Ignore the fact that we are talking about software for a second. Think of
>it as books.

We're not talking about books, SCO is talking about trade secrets and
breech of contract, possibly violation of an advertising clause.  As
soon as SCO starts distrubing source and/or binary copies of code under
a propriatary license as books, and then IBM prints out a bunch of copies
of that exact same book, then I'll admit that your example demonstrates
something.

If SCO had even distributed CDs of Linux their Linux distribution and
IBM had made copies and further distributed them, you might have a close
parallel.

There are plenty of things that somewhat resemble situation, but really
do not match the situation in many quite important ways.  It seems clear
to me that neither the book or the stolen goods examples are without
rather significant flaws that prevent them from being good
demonstrations of wrong-doing.

 It would be interesting to be a squirel.  They have the cute outfits...  The
 right kind can fly...  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1998