[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

jbass at dmsd.com jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Aug 20 15:05:01 MDT 2003

Mike Loseke <mike at verinet.com> writes:
>  http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1224877,00.asp
>  "SCO Senior Vice President Chris Sontag said there are millions of lines
>  of offending code involved and that it's highly unlikely the matter could
>  be resolved by removing that code."

There are several classes of offending code ... copied, derived, and tainted
by using illegal reverse engineering techniques or re-development with full
knowledge of the proprietary original in the case of trade secret claims.

The claim by Sean, and responded to by you, that SCO was claiming there were
millions of lines copied is to the best of my knowledge false, and none of
your quotes seem to support Sean's claims.

>  I concede that my previous statement about SCO stating 2.2 was clean to
> be false. However, SCO's own omission of that version implies that it is
> currently free from violation.

Not at all ... without an explict claim either way. That in the context of
the IBM suit they are pressing IBM for violations present in certain versions
of linux, does not at all imply previous version clean, just that SCO is not
at this point holding IBM responsible for earlier violations.

John