[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

Charles Stevenson core at bokeoa.com
Wed Aug 20 18:46:25 MDT 2003

jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
> Which brings us back to the first point, when is something derivative.
> When can you PROVE it is, or is not, derivative?

I think you can prove it is derivative if it's verbatim.

In any case, here is my opinion on this subject:

Someone pasted code into GNU/Linux that was not GPL'd. SCO reacts to
protect their IP. SCO should be required to provide evidence for all
occurances. The Linux community should rewrite from scratch ALL code in
question. I know we have the talent in the community to replace half the
kernel in a short amount of time. GNU/Linux will benefit from removing
System V cruft since more thought go into the rewrites, depending on how
far SCOs IP extends. In the meantime, SCO can sue whatever institutions
and people it likes; that's the American way. Then, at least, we could
move on with our lives. I imagine their attempt to gain money out of
this IP will fail and the most they'll accomplish is to get their IP
removed from GNU/Linux.

peace,
core