[NCLUG] Breaking news! SCO is full of crap (big surprise)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Aug 23 10:18:49 MDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 01:35:56AM -0600, jbass at dmsd.com wrote:
>I *AM* a Linux supporter, but I also strongly believe in being fair,
>honest, and moral ... with the belief that we all should try hard to

I find it quite amusing that in the above you state that you are trying
to be fair, but in several of my responses I have stated that you were
not being fair.  None of your responses have seemed very fair, they have
all seemed like you have a strong interest in defending SCO because you
have a personal stake in it.  I know you've stated otherwise, but your

The Linux community didn't force SCO to attack it, SCO needs to take
responsibility for that.  The Linux community is not protecting IBM --
they can protect themselves.  SCO has made themselves a threat against
the Linux community, and not because they had to, but because they
wanted to.  If they didn't want to, they could have avoided it no matter
what some small group of people's response to their sueing IBM was.

A reasonable person can see that SCO has done many things to bring the
community backlash on themselves.  In fact, they have done nothing to
stop it, despite numerous official attempts by us Linux advocates
requesting a fair and speedy resolution.  SCO is trying to pick fights,
it's quite clear.

The Linux community is not responding to defend IBM or simply to attack
SCO.  We're defending something that is incredibly important to us.  We
will not allow SCO to shut down Linux for one or more years, nor will we
pay them a grand per copy just on their say so.

SCO is being quite unreasonable, and that's why I continue to respond in
this thread.  I will not silently let John push the "It's everyone
else's fault, SCO is completely in the right here" message.

As far as who's being fair, I think on review of each of our messages
it's quite clear who's being the most fair.

 A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for.
                 -- Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper