[NCLUG] Help with bootloading HP Kayak

James Cizek jcizek at yuma.acns.ColoState.EDU
Tue Feb 11 13:51:27 MST 2003

 Hello all,

  I am new to the list so if I am doing this wrong, please let me know!

  I am almost hairless now over this problem.  I have an HP Kayak XU800
  workstation (twin PIII 800Mhz procs, 1 Gig RIMM, Adaptec AIC-7XXX Ultra
  160 SCSI controller) that I am trying to dual boot between Win2K
  and Slackware 8.1 Linux.  I have Win2k on the first (and only)
  partition of the first disk (9 gig) and Linux on three partitions
  of the second drive (9 gig) and a third drive free.
  I have the latest BIOS updates.  The latest SCSI BIOS updates, the latest
  chipset updates.  First I tried LILO in the MBR.  No joy, it loads the
 L and then pukes out tons of 10101010101 across the screen.
  Then I tried LILO in the suberblock of the root Linux partition.  dd'd
  the bootsector out and copied it over to win2k  adding a line in
  boot.ini to boot it.  Same result.  L and it freaks out.  Then I tried
  GRUB.  Grub also only loads the first stage of the bootloader and then
  hangs!!  The windows partition will boot on it's own.  The linux partition
  will boot from a bootdisk with SYSLINUX, will boot from a boot disk
  with GRUB and the Win2K partition will boot with the Grub bootdisk also.

  No matter what boot loader I use, it seems to boot the first 512 bytes
  fine (Stage 1) and then will not pass control to stage 2.

  I have written to about every newsgroup, program author, HP, you name it
  and I cannot figure this out.  I went into BIOS and set everything to
  defaults (just to be sure....)  SCSI BIOS is all defaults and is set
  to boot SCSI ID 0 LUN 0.  (Which it does when win2k is in the MBR)

  I also tried sticking an IDE drive in as MASTER/PRIMARY and loading linux
  alone on it.  LILO to the MBR.  Same result.  L and 10101010101

  Any ideas??  It seems BIOS or disk geometry related but I am fresh out
  of new and old ideas at this point!!  Thanks for any suggestions!!

James Cizek					     (970)491-7432
System Administrator				 FAX (970)491-1958
Colorado State University	               james at ColoState.EDU
Academic Computing and Networking Services
Fort Collins, CO 80523