[NCLUG] hard disk copy

Daniel Herrington dherr at frii.com
Fri Feb 14 21:40:06 MST 2003

What's an easy way to copy my entire two partitions (/ and /boot) from
one hard drive
to another?  In the past I've used "rsync -av ...", but I thought
there's got to be an easier,
more foolproof way.  The last time I copied it the grub stuff never
worked right.  Maxtor
has something called Max-Blast that will partition a new drive and copy
the old drive's
contents onto it, and it works great for Windows.  I don't trust it for
Linux partitions, and
it only works if you have at least one Maxtor drive in your system.  The
two I've got in
the system are an IBM and a WD.

E.g.: Is there a floppy disk image that you can boot and tell it to copy
/dev/hde1 to /dev/hdg1
and /dev/hde2 to /dev/hdg2?

Thanks,
Daniel Herrington