[NCLUG] How much should we be making?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Wed Feb 19 14:08:52 MST 2003

Thus spake =?iso-8859-1?Q?DJ_Eshelman?=:

> Hey all- sorry about my extended absence lately- I've been out on a roaming
> deployment project (NT based- yack), and recently had an offer from a local
> company that would potentially keep me here in Northern Colorado full time,
> not just on the weekends as I am now.
>
> So here's the question/situation:
> The position I'm concidering is for a mid-level to start, then possibly
> senior Linux admin for a company that has about 100 or so local employees,
> but a good sized datacenter deployed with a mix between Red Hat x.x, RedHat
> Advanced Server, Windows NT and 2000 servers.  I would apparently be
> responsible for administering and deploying these servers in the datacenter
> with cluster management, etc.  It sounds like a somewhat challenging
> position and of course I can't devulge much else, but I'm wondering what
> kind of numbers this sort of thing would normally go for up here.  Most of
> the numbers I've gotten are skewed 'coastal' data, where the cost of living
> is higher and therefore so is the payscales.
>
> So without endangering any of our jobs/contracts/lives, can someone give me
> a rough estimate of what a Mid Level Linux Administrator would normally be
> making?

 For fun browsing, google can find tons of useful information. There are
plenty of salary surveys which help break them down by region and years
experience, etc. Here's a for instance:

 http://www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pub/sanssurvey.pdf

 SANS does a yearly survey like this. Their website is a little spastic
(www.sans.org) but I'd imagine that they would have some links there for
current ones.

 My HR office also suggests checking with your local Chamber of Commerce
(they at least collect some demographic information), the Larimer County
Worforce Center (http://www.larimerworkforce.org/) and the Colorado
Employment agency (http://www.coworkforce.com/).

 If you have access to a human resources department they should also have
regional salary averages that they should let you see.

--
   Mike Loseke    | How do you make a small fortune in racing?
 mike at verinet.com | Start with a large fortune.