[NCLUG] postgres help (7.2.4)

Erich mojo_head at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 20:26:36 MST 2003

Hello - I am brand new to postgres, and have been asked to
administer it.  I will be ordering a book, but am stuck
with online / man right now.

Here is the situation:  I have users on machines running
that other OS trying to reach a server (over the network)
running 8.0 using psql.  They are getting the std error, no
server running on port 5432, blah blah.

Now I have postmaster config'd to start on boot, and a
simple ps -ef | grep post shows that it is running.
However, a netstat -p does not show a postmaster bound to
any port.

Do I need to specify an external port at the postgres
startup, like postgres -D -i -p <somePort> /usr/local/...
?

additionally, it appears I can create seperate users for
the dbase.  Is this mandatory, or can I just create users
locally on the machine, and configure to recognize these
unames/pswd's ?

Thanks (clueless)
 - Erich