[NCLUG] postgres help (7.2.4)

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sat Feb 22 17:23:57 MST 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 08:35:20PM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
>* On 2003-02-21 03:27 Erich <mojo_head at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Do I need to specify an external port at the postgres
>> startup, like postgres -D -i -p <somePort> /usr/local/...
>> ?
>
>Yes you need to specify -i for it to open up an Internet socket on the port
>mentioned in the error message.

The new mechanism is to use the postgresql.conf in /var/lib/pgsql/data.
This makes it so that, in theory, the database config is separated from
the rc startup files.  Unfortunately, they put the config in the
database directory which means that you have to preserve this and other
files during a re-load of the database (going between major numbers of
PostgreSQL, for example), or you lose the old config.  Another location
would have been nice...

Don't forget to augment your firewall to allow the postgresql port in.

>Postgres users are separate from system users.

Yes, but if you want to give a system user access they need to have a
postgresql username/password.  I usually give system users a postgresql
user as well, if they need access to the database.

 <+kritical> christin: you need to learn how to figure out stuff yourself..
 <+Christin1> how do i do that