[NCLUG] ProFTPd service

Joseph McDonald joem at uu.net
Tue Feb 25 16:07:30 MST 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 03:56:15PM -0700, BJ Tiemessen wrote:
> After removing the lock file and pid then trying to restart the service
> /var/log/messages reads:
> proftpd shutdown failed
> proftpd startup succeeded
> Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Adress already in use
> Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.
>
> So what does this mean?

Ok, here's what I would do..

   service proftpd shutdown
   rm /var/run/proftpd.pid (or whatever the pidfile is)
   rm /var/lock/proftpd    (or whatever the lockfile is)
   killall -9 proftpd
   ps -ef | grep ftpd

if there is still something running, kill it. Then:

   grep -i ftp /etc/inetd.conf (or where ever that file is on your
                                system (find /etc/ | grep inetd))

make sure that line is commented out. It's possible that wuftpd or something
similar is getting started from inetd. If it's not commented out, comment it
out. and:

killall -HUP inetd

Then,

service proftpd start