[NCLUG] suggestions for tape library control?

robiel robiel at tgstech.com
Tue Jan 14 19:30:54 MST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: nclug-admin at nclug.org [mailto:nclug-admin at nclug.org] On Behalf Of
John L. Bass
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 5:14 PM
To: nclug at nclug.org
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] suggestions for tape library control?

	I have an Exabyte VXA 1x7 SCSI tape library that I would like to
use
	under Redhat 7.3.  Can anyone make any recommendations for
drivers as
	well as backup software to use with this? I have the SCSI media
changer
	driver from http://bytesex.org/changer.html and am looking at
Amanda,
	but would like to hear what some others are using.  Thanks,
Robie

John L. Bass wrote:

	I've been using 4mm and 8mm Exabyte's under unix/linux for the
last 	decade, and
	still have EXB-10E's, 210's and 480's in operation here. There
isn't 	any ideal
	free solution under linux. Amanda is mostly only useful for
scheduling 	single
	tape dumps as long as you can keep the partition sizes small or
do 	only incrementals.

My biggest problem right now is controlling the robitcs in the library.
I've found the scsi-2 media changer command set and associated
standards, but was hoping not to get my hands that dirty... Does anyone
have suggestions here?