[NCLUG] Cannot reserve PCI memory region for a PCI device

Wei Wang Wei.Wang at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 16 10:14:14 MST 2003

Hi,

I am trying to make my 802.11b adapter work on my laptop but seems to have walked into a general system problem, maybe to do with interrupt sharing.

I've got the wlan-ng driver for the adapter(a mini-pci device) and when trying to load it by "modprobe prism2_pci", I got error message like this:

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkcustom/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkcustom/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkcustom/net/prism2_pci.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkcustom/net/prism2_pci.o failed

I am trying to load a pci device, rather it tries to load a pcmcia driver first, failed, then the pci loading failed as well, both hinted as related to IO or IRQ parameters.

Then dmesg give this output:

Linux Kernel Card Services Kernel Version
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
unloading Kernel Card Services
init_module: prism2_pci.o: 0.1.16-pre8 Loaded
init_module: dev_info is: prism2_pci
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 02:02.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1d.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1f.1
prism2: Cannot reserve PCI memory region
init_module: prism2_pci: No devices found, driver not installed.
p80211.o: 0.1.14 Unloaded

Does the "unwanted" and failed pcmcia loading have any impact on the loading of pci driver? If it does, how can I make the system not load it. Does this have anything to do with the IRQ allocation?

This is /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    1128408          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      16849          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          4          XT-PIC  rtc
 11:      20217          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, Intel ICH3, e100
 12:     495273          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      77551          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         66          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:          0
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Tried to load the driver into other irq by:

modprobe prism2_pci irq_list=9,10,13

But it came up with the same failure result. Seems that it sticks to the IRQ 11.

/proc/pci contains this adapter as 2:2.0

  Bus  2, device   2, function  0:
    Network controller: PCI device 1260:3873 (Harris Semiconductor) (rev 1).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf8000000 [0xf8000fff].
  Bus  2, device   8, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801CAM (ICH3) Chipset Ethernet Controller (rev 66).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0200000 [0xd0200fff].
      I/O at 0x8000 [0x803f].

Could anyone give me some advice on how to get over with it?

Many thanks,

Wei