[NCLUG] Debian update-rc.d question

Matt Taggart taggart at debian.org
Sun Jan 19 00:34:01 MST 2003

Marcio Luis Teixeira writes...

> Since I don't yet know what I am doing, my question is whether using
> "update-rc.d -f dhcp remove" is really the proper way to disable dhcp at
> startup.

Yes. Either that or edit the init script and add an "exit 0" at the top.
Since init scripts are conffiles this change will stick around and you will
be prompted before an updated version of the script is installed.

> If so, why does "update-rc.d" nit-pick about the script still being
> there?

Because "update-rc.d" is most often used in package scripts. When removing
a package, if the init script still exists when you're running the tool to
remove syslinks then you want to know about it.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at debian.org