[NCLUG] Is VRML dead?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Sun Jan 26 15:16:09 MST 2003

Yesterday I went out looking for some cool VRML viewers for Linux and some
cool web sites to look at but I was disappointed on both counts. As far as I
can tell, VRML is pretty much dead. Is this true?

When VRML first came out, it was understandable that it flopped pretty badly
because it required an expensive Silicon Graphics workstation that cost more
than your average lung transplant. But in the intervening years, things have
changed. Today a $300 Wal-Mart PC comes with built-in 3D acceleration and you
can buy an earlier generation 3D acceleration card on eBay for very cheap (I
recently put a second-hand Radeon 8500 in my 233Mhz Pentium II, and I am
blown away by the performance).

Its a shame that now that such technology is available to everyone, the only
thing you can do with it is play violent first-person shooter games.
Certainly it seems to me like it is a great time for VRML to make an
impressive comeback. With Microsoft is focusing its efforts on games (with
DirectX and the X-Box),  I wonder if Linux could be come a major player in
the niche of more serious 3D graphics.

Just an idea to ponder.

Marcio Luis Teixeira