[NCLUG] inetd not doesn't understand amanda service?

Robie Lutsey robiel at tgstech.com
Mon Jul 7 18:55:05 MDT 2003

I am trying to configure Amanda on my network so my redhat 7.2 server can
back-up my HP-UX 11.0 client.

I added the following to /etc/services on hp-ux.
amanda         10080/udp
amanda         10080 tcp
kamanda         10081/udp
amandaidx       10082/tcp
amidxtape       10083/tcp

I also added the following to /etc/inetd.conf.
amanda dgram udp wait amanda /usr/local/libexec/amandad amandad

I restart inetd with:
gibson:/ # inetd -cl

Syslog tells me this.
Jul  7 18:28:47 gibson inetd[936]: Rereading configuration
Jul  7 18:28:47 gibson inetd[936]: amanda/udp: Unknown service
Jul  7 18:28:47 gibson inetd[936]: Configuration complete

I read the inetd man page which implies that Amanda isn't in the
/etc/services (which it is), and I searched Amanda-users and turned up a guy
who had trouble with NIS (which I'm not using).

If anyone out there has an idea what's up here, I would greatly appreciate
hearing it! :-)

TIA,
Robie.

"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the
    freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman