[NCLUG] dma lost interrupt

Mike Jensen jens001 at attbi.com
Sun Jul 13 10:13:18 MDT 2003

My computer was doing similar things before my hard drive failed.  I recomend
backing up your shit ASAP.  It is possible that there is something software
wise that is causing it so you can write zeros to the drive and reinstall but
most likely it is hardware.  Good luck
On Sunday 13 July 2003 06:39, Daniel Miles wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I'm having this problem that I fear might mean that my hard drive is
> going bad (especially since it's happening more and more often).
>
> every once in a while (more often during heavy use), the system "hangs"
> for three or four seconds and then in my /var/log/kern.log I see a block
> of text that looks like this:
>
> Jul 13 06:30:39 Jane kernel:
> Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: lost interrupt
> Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status (dma_stat=30)
> Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete }
> Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel:
>
> This didn't happen before I brought the machine up on 2.4.21 (I had it
> on 2.4.18 before) so I think it may be a function of a new kernel but if
> it's my hard drive I'd really like to knwo that before my data is lost.

cheers,
Mike Jensen
www.spicylemons.com