[NCLUG] dma lost interrupt

Mike Jensen jens001 at attbi.com
Tue Jul 15 01:04:15 MDT 2003

There is nothing I know of that 'linux' could be doing.  On the other hand
there are tons of shit you could be doing.  In particular linux dose not do
well unless you do a full clean shutdown, windows can handle it sometimes but
linux has alot of troubles with that.  Also make sure that your case has good
air flow and the hard drives are cool for those compiles that do alot of
swaping.  Make sure you do not have a failing powersuply because if your hard
drives arent getting enough juice that can cause TONS of errors.  It is
possible these errors are fixable.  I know WD comes with a boot disk that has
a pretty good disk checker on it.  It will check your blocks and try to fix
any errors it finds.  Try to see if you have anything similar.   Good luck
On Monday 14 July 2003 00:31, Daniel Miles wrote:
> Ok, assuming that it *is* the HD going bad, this would be my third HD in
> 6 months. Is there anything linux might be doing to kill HD's?
>
> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 14:34, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> > On 13 Jul 2003 at 06:39:07, Daniel Miles moved bits on my disk to say:
> > > Jul 13 06:30:39 Jane kernel:
> > > Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> > > Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: lost interrupt
> > > Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: dma_intr: bad DMA status
> > > (dma_stat=30) Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x50 {
> > > DriveReady SeekComplete }
> > > Jul 13 06:31:01 Jane kernel:
> >
> > Unless it's a CDROM drive, I'd agree with Mike... it usually spells
> > trouble. I'd try downgrading back to 2.4.18 (they did mess with the IDE
> > subsystem in 2.4.21 to make it more responsive under load, I heard) and
> > see if you still get the errors. If you run for a week or so (under heavy
> > load) and don't see them, you might look into filing a bug report.
> >
> > Later,
> > Paul

cheers,
Mike Jensen