[NCLUG] SpamAssassin Testimonials?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun Jul 20 17:24:34 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:57:38PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>IMHO SpamAssassin is the best overall tool available.  It uses a

I just added a front-end to SpamAssassin to help with blocking spam.  I
had my threshold cranked up to 6.5 so that fewer legitimate messages get
caught.  However, lately I've been getting about 30 message a day that
get past SpamAssassin (out of about 300 I get a day).

Today I worked on building and setting up a system that will do TMDA
sorts of things with mail marked as spam.  After some testing, I plan to
crank the threshold down to around 4.

The idea is that mail marked as spam will get saved off and a reply sent
to the sender address with a special key that needs to be used to
deliver the message through.  The sender can then send another message
to a special address to unlock their original message and let it
through.

So, this is kind of the best of both worlds...  Mail that isn't spammy
goes right through, but mail that is caught can be acked by the sender
to allow it through.  Unfortunately, the amount of spam that efm and I
get really prevents us from combing through the messages marked as spam
to find the non-spam.

I had tried to set up TMDA so that it would do this for me, but it
wasn't really designed to function that way in the environment I'm using
it in.

 "What do you call it when your software licensing guy's hands start
 bleeding?  Stig-mata."  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999