[NCLUG] Re. Organizing against SCO?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Fri Jul 25 10:05:24 MDT 2003

Thus spake William Dan Terry:

> I wasn't paying close attention, but I seem to have a recollection that
> Microsoft made a Unix license purchase or some such from SCO just a
> little before SCO sent out letters. If this is founded in truth, than
> there could be a reason for shaking up Linux comfort.
>
> Okay, my memory of timing is a bit off, but when was the deal between
> Microsoft and SCO actually started? Is the suit a SCO move or a
> Microsoft move (amount of deal between two is secret). Here is a story
> about it.
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9506E6DA103EF933A15756C0A9659C8B63

 As I recall the timeline here, Microsoft finalized their Unix licensing
deal with SCO after the suit was brought against IBM but before SCO sent
out the 1500 cease and decist letters. (Who do they think they are, the
RIAA?) The reason for this particular licensing agreement was to make sure
that MS was up to snuff on their product which helps people transition
from Unix environments to NT/whatever. As to when it was started, I would
think that it was started before the suit was brought but my cynicism
circuits think it's rather afterwards. I'm pretty sure Sun's payoff was
after.

--
                  | Look not backward in anger,
   Mike Loseke    | nor forward in fear,