[NCLUG] Looking for Secondary DNS

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Tue Jul 29 20:15:37 MDT 2003

Coran Fisher aka The Doctor wrote:
> Have you looked at http://www.granitecanyon.com ?

Have they actually started just sucking again and are no longer just a
complete vacuum?  I can recommend, from vast experience, not to even try
to use GC.  You will have no hair left after the first time you need to
make a change.

For free secondary service for up to 5 domains from an outfit that is
clueful, try http://www.zoneedit.com/.

You can get up to 20 domains at http://www.everydns.net/, and they seem
to know what they are doing too (making use of tinyDNS,
geographical/provider dispersed name servers).

Far as secondary.org, I don't know much about them, but I'm personally
not interested in using a server somewhere in Canada.

Now, secondary.com is (or was) a different story.  That was created by
the folks at Nominum, the brain-trust that gives us BIND, but
unfortunately they couldn't make any money off it and sold it to
UltraDNS.  UltraDNS charges $7.50/month for 5 domains now.  :-(
But they had it together there... multiple "virtual" name servers
clusters using anycast across multiple Tier 1 co-location sites.  Dunno
if they still do it that way, but they probably do given UltraDNS'
reputation.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com